CMM interim checks are important to safeguard your equipment and to make sure your machine operates appropriately in between annual servicing and calibration.
With constant or excessive use of a machine, issues may materialise, which may lead to inaccurate results being produced.
By completing regular interim checks, you can reduce the chance of errors and also potentially save on expensive repair costs and downtime.
As part of your interim check procedures, a health record of the CMM should be maintained. This will detail the checks completed and details of measurements taken using a special test piece, such as a calibrated master artefact.
By performing these regular tests, you will slowly start to build a history of the machine’s operational capabilities. Any sudden changes to the CMM’s performance can swiftly be identified, preventing disastrous faults or damages occurring.
Below we’ve detailed an example schedule showing which CMM interim checks should be performed to keep your machine operating efficiently.
- Check for any loose or damaged parts including any unusual noises
- Check all cables
- Clean your surface plate with a high-quality granite surface cleaning liquid
- Ideally completed at the same time every week during periods of natural downtime
- With a special test piece, such as a calibrated master part or artefact, hole plate or ball plate/bar and machine checking gauge. Measure these features, and you will slowly start to build a history of the machine’s operational capabilities.
- Add details of the measurements to your machine health chart
- Check air compressors are functioning and in good condition
- Clean and replace the electrical cabinet filters on the intake and exhaust
- Add this detail to the health chart and ensure it is completed each month
Every Five Months
- Replace primary and secondary filters of the pneumatic control unit
- Check all electrical components are in working order
- Check all air pipes
- Add this detail to the health chart
With these regular interim checks, you can rest assured that your CMM is measuring accurately and with a minimum liability of breakdowns.
Setting Up a Schedule
If you would like help creating an interim check schedule or require an initial interim check, Eley Metrology is here to help. We can advise the best schedule to fit your requirements and perform an initial check that you can use as a basis for all future interim checks.
For more details please contact our sales team.