Granite surface plates and tables are a must for accurate measurement and provide a stable environment for inspection. They are free from temperature distortion and offer an exceptionally sturdy measuring environment due to their thickness and weight.
All our granite plates and tables are supported by UKAS Certification and conform to BS 817 (2008). They are available in three grades, Grade 0, Grade 1 and Grade 2.
Our larger surface plates (900 x 600 x 100 and up) are available with a high-quality steel support stand with 3 adjustable points to ensure flatness on any surface, these support stands can also be applied to the 600 and above size plates when you require a specific working height.
We can also produce one-off or 'special' sized granite surface plates and tables to your specification.
Our Granite Surface Plate Range
Related Products and Services
• Granite Cleaning Fluid - The granite cleaning fluid solution developed by Eley metrology is a compound of special detergents and astringents. When applied to a granite surface, it will clean and remove all traces of oil, grease, cutting fluid and dirt
• Granite Surface Plates Calibration and Resurfacing - Our team of engineers provide calibration and resurfacing for all sizes and grades of granite surface plates and tables. We can also inspect granite parallels, master squares and master straight edges
• Surface Plate Support Stands - Our high-grade steel support stands can be produced alongside a granite plate to form a granite table
• Granite Surface Tables Accessories - In metrology, it is very common for customers to require threaded inserts to hold or clamp items in place during the measurement process
Why Choose Granite?
Granite is a type of igneous rock formed in the Earth millions of years ago. The composition of igneous rock contained many minerals such as quartz that is extremely hard and wear-resistant. In addition to hardness and wear resistance granite has approximately half the coefficient of expansion as cast iron. As its volumetric weight is approximately one third that of cast iron, granite is easier to manoeuvre.
For machine bases and metrology components, black granite is the colour most used. Black granite has a higher percentage of quartz than other colours and is, therefore, the hardest wearing.
Granite is cost-effective, and cut surfaces can be exceptionally flat. Not only can it be hand lapped to achieve extremes of accuracy, but re-conditioning can be performed without moving the plate or table off-site. It is entirely a hand lapping operation and generally costs much less than re-conditioning a cast iron alternative.
These qualities make granite the ideal material to create custom-size and custom-design machine bases and metrology components such as the granite surface plate.
Eley Metrology produces bespoke granite products that are created to support specific measurement requirements. These bespoke items vary from straight edges to tri squares. Due to the versatile nature of granite, the components can be produced to any size required; they are hard wearing and long-lasting.
Advantages of Granite Surface Plates
A granite surface plate is an essential investment for laboratories and test facilities. A granite surface plate of 600 x 600 mm can be mounted on a support stand. The stands provide a working height of 34” (0.86m) with five adjustable points for levelling.
For reliable and consistent measurement results, a granite surface plate is crucial. As the surface is a smooth and stable plane, it enables instruments to be carefully manipulated.
The main advantages of granite surface plates are:
• Resistant to chemicals and corrosion
• Low coefficient of expansion compared with cart iron so less affected by temperature change
• Naturally rigid and hard-wearing
• The plane of the surface is unaffected if scratched
• Will not rust
• Easy to clean and maintain
• Calibration and resurfacing can be done onsite
• Suitable for drilling for threaded support inserts
• High vibration damping
Care and Maintenance
Due to being highly resistant to wear, granite equipment is easy to maintain. With regular cleaning using a specialist granite cleaning fluid, the surface can remain reliable. We recommend that you use different areas of the granite surface to distribute the workload evenly.
Depending on the care and use of the equipment, resurfacing will be required at some point. Granite surface plate calibration and resurfacing is vital to maintain original accuracy. Granite surface plates can be re-conditioned simply onsite with a quick turnaround.
Eley Metrology can arrange an inspection of your granite equipment at regular intervals. Our team of highly skilled engineers can ensure that your granite equipment is maintained to optimum accuracy and quality levels.
If you would like a quote or more information on our inspection and maintenance packages, please get in touch.